Roast Turkey with Bacon, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing
- 1 x 4.5kg turkey, fresh or thawed
- 6 cups cubed stale bread
- 3 onions, peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 250g bacon, cut into small pieces - about 5mm
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried sage or 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chicken or turkey stock
Prepare the stuffing
- Toast the bread cubes on an oven tray in low heat [150°C] until lightly browned
- Caramelise the sliced onions with 1 tbsp olive oil, until golden brown. Set aside.
- Fry bacon until crisp and brown, then stir in the apples, stirring occasionally until translucent. Stir in the sage, thyme, parsley and black pepper and cook until just fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Turn the apple mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the bread cubes, salt, caramelised onions, dried cranberries, eggs and chicken stock and toss gently to combine ingredients evenly.
Method - to prepare turkey for roasting
- Preheat oven according to the recommendation on Turkey wrapper. Rinse out the turkey cavity and pat dry with paper towels. Stuff the cavity with the stuffing. Tie the legs together with string. Rub the breast with the remaining olive oil, and season with salt & pepper.
- Add 1tbsp flour to an Extra Large GLAD Oven Bag and shake to distribute flour evenly.
- Place the turkey in the bag and tie close. Pierce 6 holes in the top of the bag to allow steam to escape. Place in a GLAD Roasting Pan, ensuring that the bag does not hang over the sides.
- Follow the recommended cooking temperature and times on the turkey wrapper. Let the turkey rest for about 15 minutes before carving.