Cheese & Bacon Scrolls
- 2 bacon rashers
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g butter
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1tsp mixed Italian herbs
- Olive oil
- Extra flour (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line 2 baking trays with GLAD Cooking Paper.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces. With the help of an adult, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan and add the bacon. Cook bacon for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Chop butter into small cubes, ensuring that it does not melt. Sift flour and salt into a bowl, add cold butter and using fingertips rub butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add milk while stirring until the dough forms. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 3 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Roll dough into a 25cm x 30cm rectangle with the rolling pin.
- Spread tomato paste over the dough evenly with the palette knife, then sprinkle with Italian herbs, fried bacon and grated cheese.
- Lift the dough from the edge closest to you and tightly roll the dough into a long sausage. With the help of an adult, cut into 10 even slices with a sharp knife.
- Line the baking trays with GLAD Cooking Paper, and place the scrolls on the trays. Bake for 15 minutes in the oven until golden brown.
- For a vegetarian option, omit the bacon and add sautéed vegetables, like mushrooms, baby spinach, capsicum or even tinned sweet corn.